At the risk of sounding like a complete anorak … the British Railways Mark 1 carriage was in use up and down the country from the 1950s, having been developed following nationalisation in 1948. It first entered service in 1951.
One of the most widely used variants was the passenger corridor carriage, with eight compartments each seating eight people. Access to the carriage was easy, with three hinged doors on each side of the carriage. The compartments were separated from the corridor by sliding doors. The first Mark Is had a livery known as Blood and Custard – the popular name for the combination of Crimson Lake with Cream above the ‘waistline’.